How to paint a rural scene and composition tips – Watercolor demo by Tim Wilmot #22
Watercolour demonstration by Tim Wilmot of a rural scene in South West France and some tips on composition – how to change things to suit your painting.
Please help me create future videos by supporting my work via ‘Patreon’:
(….and see how you can submit your paintings to me for a critique!)
More paintings at
In this demo I will be covering…
1) Choice of Subject. What makes a good watercolour subject. How to simplify the scene. Things to change or leave out.
2) Materials I use such as the paper. I will also cover the paints I use and the palette, plus how I hold the different brushes for different techniques.
3) Doing the outline sketch as the first step. How to the basic shapes of the key elements of the picture.
4) Doing the sky and the first wash of the background and then the foreground.
5) Shadows and details of the straw bails and a figure.
6) Watch out for the ‘sword’ brush and highlighting tips.
More information on watercolour demos, lessons and recent paintings by Tim Wilmot can be found at http://www.timwilmot.com/