Will Terrell is a Professional Character and Prop Designer for Warner Bros. Animation. Follow along with Will in his 4 part series as he shows you cartooning and using markers.
The most important thing he will be demonstrating throughout this workshop is trying to have fun while keeping a sketchbook, because that’s the idea!
LESSON 1 of 4: KEEPING A SKETCHBOOK
Starting with Rough Sketches
Will prefers sketching from life in public because it forces you to have a critical eye and capture the main aspects of a subject since usually they keep moving.
If you’d rather not sketch in public the website http://iamchicago.net/ has a collection of photos of characters and people who live in Chicago. There are many unique and interesting people on the site that are great to use as references.
• Focus on observation
• Look at who you’re drawing more than you look at the paper
• Sketch the big shapes first, then break it down smaller shapes
• Keep it light – especially when using colored pencils as it’s more difficult to erase lines than when using graphite
• Many people struggle with drawing because they are focusing on what they think they see versus what they’re actually seeing. The brain tells you something should look a certain way, but truly observing and drawing real life versus imagined images will help.
• The best way to overcome this obstacle is just to draw A LOT – challenge yourself to fill up a sketchbook every single month
• The best way to get better at drawing from real life is to draw fast
• Keep your pencil moving and don’t get caught up on drawing details
• You’re not just training your hands to draw, you’re also training your eyes to see
• Draw through objects – for example – in the image below I am drawing the brim of the hat all the way around the head so the shape comes out right.
• Make a goal to sketch every day and do 10-20 very loose sketches at a time. Don’t get caught up in details and keep it loose. You’ll learn so much from that and remember HAVE FUN WITH IT!
See lessons 2, 3 and 4 from Will here:
LESSON 2: PEOPLE SKETCHING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQqAWoTi9E&t=13s
LESSON 3: COLORING WITH MARKERS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMO5N8cy_Jk&t=12s
LESSON 4: MARKER PAPER ILLUSTRATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUMZSYa1NWY
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.